Sunday, March 20, 2011

Project 2: Serial Planes Studies

For the project, Serial Planes Studies Phase A, I decided to take the two Outcast United Books and turn it into some creation.  I wasn't sure what I wanted the book to become so I started off with possibly making the book look abstract but when I was in process of cutting and folding it, it started to have the look of a star, so I decided to stick with making my book look like a star.

Materials used: ruler, scissors, hot glue gun.

My sketch:


How I reconstructed it:
1. First, I decided to use my old Outcast United book for the project. It wasn't too big or too small.

2. Then, I wasn't so sure what I was going to make out of my book so I decided to just wig it and started folding each page, but I took off 1/8 of each 3 sides of the page and then fold them in and it ended up looking like the picture above.

3. I decided to keep on doing the same pattern because I wanted to stay consistent. 

4. Once I finished reconstructing the book, it didn't look done yet.  I noticed it started looking like a star, but I didn't have any more pages left so all I could think of was to get another one of the same book.

5. I ended up finding the same book and did the same thing to it and just added on to the other book until my star was complete.


6. Finally, I hot glued the two books together and my star was completed!


For the project, Serial Planes Studies Phase B, I had to create a three-dimensional abstract or representational form using white foam core board. For awhile when I was doing my sketch model I thought I wanted to do something abstract, but when I started to do the real model I decided to do an alligator.

Materials used: exacto knife, cutting mat and hot glue gun


Research images:

 
 

Sketch model:
When I created my sketch model  i just used these arrow shapes that were the same side and stayed consistent.  I didn't know what I was making so I went with what the picture shows and I didn't really like it, but it did remind me of my favorite animal, an alligator.  It looked like the back of an alligator, so I decided to make an alligator serial plane.

How I reconstructed it:
 1. First, I got a big piece of white foam board to start my alligator!
 2. I started to cut shapes and make each shape bigger to make it look like the tail of the alligator was getting bigger and then I would hot glue a little piece of foam board in the middle of the two pieces.

 3. I continued to do the same pattern and make the belly of the alligator.

4. Next, I made the feet for the alligator (they might be too small, but they seem to work for me)


5. Last, I constructed the face of the alligator which was probably the hardest part. I struck with keep the same pattern but I wanted to make the mouth open, for it to look more realistic. I accomplished what I planned to do and even gave the alligator teeth.




 6. Finally, my alligator was completed!


      In both the serial plane projects I never knew what I wanted to do which either of them.  It was tough for me to figure out what I would do with them, but I know with any project it has to be something I know I'm going to be interested in making.  On the book project, I researched on Google what other people have done when they reconstructed a book.  When I saw a lot of pictures, I knew I wanted to do something consistent and definitely didn't want to do something abstract. When I started to do my book project, I wasn't sure what it was going to come out looking like but I just decided take the book and just go with something or I would never finish it.  When I began to reconstruct it, it was hard to deal with all the papers that got in the way and it was extremely annoying to measure and cut every page the exact measurement it had to be.  But it the end, when my book looked like a star and it looked clean; i was very happy with the end result.  There is nothing i would change about the project, expect if I were to do it again I would pick a book that had more pages just so I wouldn't have to glue two books together.  But you cant even tell that's there's two books in my project, so it wasn't a big deal at all. Overall, I am very pleased with my project, and it has been my favorite project so far.
      When I had to research for the foam board project, that was the hardest one out of all the projects so far.  I was so unsure about what I wanted to make out of foam board.  It took me awhile just looking at pictures online that I thought looked cool and that I could possibly recreated.  There were a lot of pictures that were amazing but I didn't want to make something that looked just like the picture I saw.  I even looked at pictures of buildings and other forms of art that I thought I couldn't possibly recreate into a serial plane.  I saw this one picture of a serial plane that was a design just using the same object over and over again. The object was the same shape and size though out the serial plane.  I thought it looked really cool so I wanted to make something similar so I made my sketch model like that and I was happy about how it was coming out, but it did remind me of an alligator tail which gave me an idea. I thought that I could make an alligator for my project. I was really into the idea because alligators are my favorite animal, so I would want to do something I have an interest in.  I have a wood alligator (picture is above) that I went with to help me reconstruct my project.  The only difficulty I had with making the project was keeping all the pieces together because the project was so long that when it bend it would just snap, so I had to use a lot of hot glue.  The project didn't meet the 12"x12"x12" requirements, but because it was so long, that didn't matter.  I am very pleased with my end result, and so glad it ended up looking like an alligator which I didn't know if it was actually going to.

1 comment:

  1. Engaging visual narrative of both processes presented through a neat blog layout and image sequences.

    Your reaction paper describe very straight forward your experiences with both materials and subject matters. Good research images.

    Despites the natural differences you had to confront in both processes, you have approached them in a consistent way. You applied “serial planes” in the strict sense of repetition. Gradations and variations in sizes brought to life visually engaging and dynamic pieces.

    A

    ReplyDelete